“Failed to connect to data source” error in FileNet Configuration Manager

Database: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 64-bit

Problem:

When running a task to configure data sources for GCD or object store, an error occurs that says “Failed to connect to data source”, and that you should check if the details you have entered are correct for it to connect to the database.

Cause:

I am not yet sure of the exact cause, but it seems that there is some kind of problem with accessing through the port (1433).

Solution I did:

  1. Go to SQL Server Configuration Manager.
  2. Expand SQL Server Network Configuration.
  3. Right-click TCP/IP and select Properties.
  4. Under IP Address tab, on the IPAll section, enter 1433 in TCP Dynamic Ports field.
  5. Under Protocol tab, changed Enabled field to Yes.
  6. Restart SQL Server (InstanceName).
  7. Retry running the task in IBM FileNet Configuration Manager. It should return a successful message.

If anyone knows the exact cause of the problem, feel free to comment on this post! 🙂

Advertisements

Empty or blank Ping Page in Content Engine

My Environment:

Environment: Single-server deployment (All P8 components are collocated)

Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2 Datacenter SP1

Database: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 64-bit

JDBC Driver: Microsoft JDBC Driver 3.0

Application Server: WebSphere Application Server 8.5.5.0

Content Engine version:  5.2.0.1

Case Foundation version: 5.2.0.1

JRE version: 1.6

 

Problem:

When verifying Content Engine installation, the Content Engine Startup Context (Ping Page) returns an empty table.

Cause:

There are many causes of this issue. I happen to confirm one reason.

I unzipped SQL JDBC in C:\jars. I pasted both sqljdbc.jar and sqljdbc4.jar in C:\jars (because I was not sure then what to use) so I will just enter C:\jars in MICROSOFT JDBC DRIVER PATH in WebSphere variables. When I deployed Content Platform Engine and checked the Ping Page, it did not return any value. I inspected SystemErr.log and it said, “Java Runtime Environment (JRE) version 1.6 is not supported by this driver”. What I did next was, I tried to delete sqljdbc.jar. I was right! It is being used by another process so I could not delete it. I stopped WAS, deleted sqljdbc.jar (that leaves sqljdbc4.jar), and started WAS. The Ping Page returned the desired information. FileNet then used sqljdbc4.jar that supports JRE 1.6.

 

If you know any more confirmed causes, please feel free to comment on this post! 🙂